ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > General Chat

Old 05-30-2013
Probationary Trainee

Zula
Default Should Animal Control be part of Sheriff's Office?

Are there any of you that do Animal Control that is outside of a Sheriff's Office? Does it work well? Pros/cons? Is it better to be part of a law enforcement agency than general county government? We are struggling with these issues.
Old 05-30-2013
Kennel Commander

halfacop is an unknown quantity at this point

Let me ask you.... What are you struggling with in regards to this issue?

I have worked with 2 different agencies. 1 with the Sheriff Department and my current gig which is under the Department of Public Safety. I interviewed with an agency once that was ran under the Board of Health and ran away as fast as I could after my interview.

The biggest pro to being combined with a "law Enforcement" agency is that you have Enforcement minded individuals running the show. Animal Control is an enforcement division and should be treated as such.

Your more likely to have some of the "correct" tools to do your job if your working with a enforcment agency. Notice I say WITH - that is how it should work. Obviously several agencies have ACO's in their ranks and treat them like ****, it doesnt have to be this way...

A progressive department will utilize their ACO's as much as possible and tool them to do the job correctly.
Old 05-30-2013
Probationary Trainee

Zula

We are struggling because our department was moved away from the S.O. and others outside the agency are telling us it won't work. We need to figure out ASAP whether or not it can work before we go too far on the wrong road.
Old 05-30-2013
Kennel Commander

halfacop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zula View Post
We are struggling because our department was moved away from the S.O. and others outside the agency are telling us it won't work. We need to figure out ASAP whether or not it can work before we go too far on the wrong road.
I have no idea why a move like that would be attempted when it clearly does no offer any benefit. Just my opinion - but I would be pushing to make a move back to the SO. Use the time and effort to make improvements there instead of trying to reinvent / fix something that most likely wasn't broke to begin with...
Old 05-31-2013
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

acofred is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfacop View Post
I have no idea why a move like that would be attempted when it clearly does no offer any benefit. Just my opinion - but I would be pushing to make a move back to the SO. Use the time and effort to make improvements there instead of trying to reinvent / fix something that most likely wasn't broke to begin with...
The only "benefit" (only to the pencil-pushing purse-string holders) is that they can hire more unprofessional people, train them less, and pay them accordingly.

I'm in Public Works. Not only do I have to do AC, I also have to mess with water, sewer, streets, drainage, mowing, weed spraying, sign and banner hanging, Christmas decorations...I could go on and on. When an animal issue comes up, it often has to wait until I'm done with whatever other chore I'm stuck on. I have no law enforcement authority whatsoever, can't even write a citation. Training? Zip. Appearance? I wear the same uniform as other sewer workers, meter readers, and the city hall janitor. And the worst thing, my department head didn't go to college and get his Civil Engineering degree in the hopes that someday he'd be in charge of the dogcatcher. Neither he, nor anybody else upstairs cares about the animal control.
Old 06-07-2013
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

I always worked for PDs, but I knew a couple that were not. One was public works and their pay was about 20% less than a PD based ACO. Another was a large city where they were moved from PD, to health dept., to code enforcement. I don't know about their pay, but their operation was completely disorganized and a terror to work with.
Old 07-01-2013
Provisional Posting ACO

ACOIAM

Ive been animal control for both a police dept and non police. The biggest con I have is police dispatchers dont or cant put as much effort into "dog" calls as they should. Non police dispatcher would handle lots of complaints over phone and get much better details.
Old 07-11-2013
Probationary Trainee

livoniaaco is on a distinguished road
Smile

I'm in Public Works.I love it we make more then the officer in some of the police deparments Our police officer trun over there case to us becouse they do no animal control at allwe do it all .
Old 07-11-2013
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

acofred is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by livoniaaco View Post
I'm in Public Works.I love it we make more then the officer in some of the police deparments Our police officer trun over there case to us becouse they do no animal control at allwe do it all .
Great, but what law enforcement authority do you have?
Old 07-11-2013
Probationary Trainee

livoniaaco is on a distinguished road

We do all of the are Search warrants, curtly, Vicious warrants the police department forward all animal complaints to us the ACO and back us up on our warrants .but we do not have arrest powers ,we have not need them either .