ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > General Chat

Old 03-08-2012
Almighty ACO

NBPD336 is on a distinguished road
Default Happy story for a change

Hi all,

Yesterday a friend of mine had posted a picture of two beagles that were found by animal control in Belchertown, a town three towns over from me. I contacted this ACO because I have picked up a similar pair of beagles several times that belonged to a guy that lives about an hour away. While I was checking the website I discovered a Brittney Spaniel that has been missing from Chicopee Ma, which is about an hour away from where I am located, since November 26 of last year. I looked at the pictures and thought it looked a lot like a dog that was up for adoption at the shelter I volunteer at. I then had the ACO get in touch with the people that were missing the dog and they in turn got in touch with the shelter.

Today they drove the hour to the shelter to see if this was indeed their missing dog. According to the shelter worker, when they arrived at the shelter the dog, that had been lazily laying in his crate and appeared very depressed, suddenly jumped up and spun around with more energy than they had seen him exhibit.

She told me it was a tearful reunion, teard of joy, as they thought the dog had been gone and they thought there was no hope of ever seeing him again.

All of this because a friend of mine decided to post the beagles on facebook. The dog was an hour away from his original home.

You will not rise to the occasion, you will sink to the level of your training.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~ Mark Twain
Old 03-09-2012
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

LiHammy is an unknown quantity at this point

That is really great. the internets are a great tool for that.
How did the dog get so far away?
Old 03-09-2012
Almighty ACO

UCDW880 is on a distinguished road

I think alot of time people pick up dogs on their way home or way to work, and alot of people work an hour away from home. Then the dogs end up in another area's shelter. I always tell people to look in all the surrounding counties shelters, not just the local shelter.
Old 03-09-2012
Almighty ACO

Not sure exactly what the full story is on how he ended up there.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~ Mark Twain
Old 03-12-2012
Giga-posting ACO

ACO2642 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ACO2642 Send a message via Yahoo to ACO2642

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDW880 View Post
I think alot of time people pick up dogs on their way home or way to work, and alot of people work an hour away from home. Then the dogs end up in another area's shelter. I always tell people to look in all the surrounding counties shelters, not just the local shelter.
I've lost count of the number of calls I get with people doing that. " Hello?Yeah, I found this dog this morning and I was wondering if anyone reported it missing"? Well where did you pick it up? "Over in Shelbyville." Thats an hour and a half from here! Why don't you try taking the dog back to the shelter there? "They put dogs to sleep over there"!

Light travels faster than sound,
which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The early bird gets the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese!
Old 03-12-2012

acofred is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO2642 View Post
I've lost count of the number of calls I get with people doing that. " Hello?Yeah, I found this dog this morning and I was wondering if anyone reported it missing"? Well where did you pick it up? "Over in Shelbyville." Thats an hour and a half from here! Why don't you try taking the dog back to the shelter there? "They put dogs to sleep over there"!
"Yeah, well if anybody's looking for it, they won't be looking here, so we'll end up doing the same thing..."
Old 03-12-2012
Almighty ACO

Yet another reason I highly recommend microchips.

~ Mark Twain
Old 03-13-2012

mzk10 is an unknown quantity at this point

I check craislist on a regular basis. Just returned a dog this morning that was posted missing on the site. The dog is from the next county over, someone had picked it up on the way home. BTW, the dog had a 3 year old vet rabies tag and OF COURSE the owners had moved and changed their phones numbers since then.

Michrochipping is great, but if people don't keep the contact info up-to-date the chips are useless.