ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 09-13-2011
Giga-posting ACO

aco30l13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to aco30l13
Default ASKING FOR ADVICE

I am trying to research if there are any laws against dismembering or mutilating the corpse of an animal. In particular a dog. I am sure that there has to be something here in California but cannot find it. Please help.
-American Indian Proverb

After dark all cats are leopards.
-American Indian Proverb,
Old 09-13-2011
Forum Friend

1xOscar88 is on a distinguished road

I have previously had to search the laws when I had a suspicious case of a dog mutilation with apparent cult killing/mutilation overtones. Which fell under a PC597 violation, "malicious cruelty."
However, I am not aware of a Ca. state law against mutilating a "corpse" of an animal. (Though there may be a ~local~ ordinance that I don't know about.)
Dispite California's enormous volume of regulations, some things are still not on the books. Up until a few years ago when there was an incident with a funeral home employee who sexually assaulted a child's corpse, the DA was unable to find any law to properly prosecute the offender. That has since been remedied, but the law that passed was regarding proper handling of human remains.
Old 09-13-2011
Almighty ACO

Caninelaw is on a distinguished road

Littering - if they don't pick up after themselves. Other then that I'm thinking there's nothing to cover that. If its for somer religious ceremony you also have the constitutional issue of freedom of religion (especially if there's no specific law covering it.)
Old 09-13-2011
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

We discussed this in Animal Cruelty class in NJ. We don't have a law against dismemberment (not that I know of anyway) but what we were told is that if we could catch the person who did it, we could charge them with animal cruelty if they did not properly care for the animals and have them euthanized in a manner that was legal and not cruel. They could also be charged with improper housing/zoning for type of animal (i.e. a goat in the city), etc.

NJ still does not have anything on the law against beastiality as such, either.
Old 09-18-2011
Certified Posting ACO

TUSKER is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Possibilities

They might be able to be charged with illegal destruction of property if they didn't own the animal. You might also check the local health department regulations with respect to what zoning allows or prohibits an animal to be legally be slaughtered, cleaned out, or rendered.

\"Cruelty ever proceeds from a vile mind, and often from a cowardly heart\" - - Sir John Harrington.