ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > In the News

Old 11-07-2005
Provisional Posting ACO

Boz
Default Anna's Bill (H.B 315)

Anyone have any input about Anna's Bill?

Enforcing animal laws
Southern Illinois
Old 11-07-2005
Grand Poobah Webgeek
Site Admin

A. Gianotto has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to A. Gianotto

Could you provide some contextual info?

R.I.P. Susan Caskey AKA "Critterfuz": April 1970 - Dec 2007.
R.I.P. Keegan Merrick AKA "RichmondACO": July 1977 - Jan 2009.

We miss you.
Old 11-07-2005
Administrator
Site AdminGiga-posting ACO

Mark Kumpf has disabled reputation

Just finished reading it. So, when all the municipal animal control agencies in Illinois are bankrupt, who is going to handle animal control? Oh, and its interesting that only "financially challenged" owners pets are eligible for s/n services. If Illinois' bill is the model that will be "followed" in other states, then most of us better start looking for new jobs...
Old 11-08-2005
Probationary Trainee

Walter O. Thompson Sr.
Default Anna's Bill - NEW FORMS?

Hi, I just joined the forum. I am glad to see that there is some "suport" out there for ACO's. Our Wayne County (Il.) Humane Society (1 H.S. manager - my wife & 1 ACO - myself) has the Animal Control contract (28,800 per year) for our entire county of 720 square miles. It helps pay for SOME of the expences. Like many other counties out there... our county is also broke. So far the county tells us that there is no extra money for a increase in fees. I also read Anna's bill. Although it has many good parts... It might bankrupt some of the shelters and Animal Controls. Many people around here throw a fit when they have to bail out their hunting dogs at $35 after their LOST
I have a question for anyone out there. Is there anywhere on line that a person can download (or get a copy offline) of standard ILLINOIS Animal Control forms? Such as... "Deem a dog VICIOUS" or "Deem a dog DANGEROUS"? We will have to update several of our documents that we use in our field. Our shelter/AC is a learn as you go process. Very little training. "Heres the keys, theres the catch pole, now go get that PIT BULL."
When the ACO training is FREE and close to southern IL. Where you do not have to spent the night... we might have a chance to go. However there is no Animal Control for the county that day.

Thank You for your time... Keep up the good work.
Walter
Old 11-20-2005
Provisional Posting ACO

Boz
Default HOUSE BILL 315 or Anna's Bill

Sorry, for not providing more content. I copied this from a website.

Synopsis of House Bill 315
Illinois Public Health and Safety Animal Population Control Act.

Establishes the Illinois Public Health and Safety Animal Population Control Program/Pet Population Control Fund administered by the Department of Public Health. The program is to be established by 12/31/05. The Fund shall begin collecting funds January 1, 2006, and begin dispersing funds January 1, 2007. Funds from this program will be used to pay for the spay/neuter of pets belonging to Illinois residents who are eligible for the Food 26 Stamp Program or the Social Security Disability Insurance 27 Benefits Program or who manages a feral cat colony. The participating resident will pay $15.
Veterinarian participation is voluntary. Veterinarians will be reimbursed for the cost of the surgery and pre-surgical examinations and vaccinations.
Provides for an income tax check off so that taxpayers may contribute to the Pet Population Control Fund.

Amends the Animal Control Act

Changes the definition of Dangerous Dog to include an animal that bites but does not cause serious physical injury and those that pose a threat “anywhere other than on the property of the owner or custodian of the dog”.
Changes the definition of enclosure to require that a dog kept inside the house must be kept in a room without direct ingress or egress to the outside unless it leads directly to an approved enclosure.
Changes to definition of serious physical injury by removing the word “protracted” from disfigurement.
Authorizes the County Board to establish a county animal population control fund. If established, the fund must pay for the sterilization of adopted animals or the pets of low-income county residents who are eligible for the Food Stamp Program.
Requires the County Board establish a minimum $10 differential between spayed and neutered pets and unaltered pets in the registration fee. The $10 differential must be placed in the county animal population control fund (if it exists) or in the State’s Pet Population Control Fund.
Provides the Administrator the authority to have animal control officers enforce the Humane Care for Animals Act and apply for security posting for impounded animals.
Allows a veterinarian to exempt a dog from rabies vaccine if its health is compromised.
Establishes a public safety fee of $25 to be assessed for each dog running at large; $20 shall be deposited in the State’s Pet Population Control Fund and $5 will be retained by the county or municipality.
Requires that any dog impounded a second time for running at large must be spayed or neutered within 30 days if not already done.
Establishes a public safety fee of $25 to be assessed for each animal impounded which shall be deposited in the State’s Pet Population Control Fund.
Impounded dogs and cats, deemed acceptable for adoption by the animal control facility or animal shelter, shall be offered for adoption or made available to a licensed humane society or rescue group.
Allows the Department of Agriculture to revoke a license of any animal shelter or animal control facility that fails to report its intake or euthanasia statistics for the year.
Establishes a public safety fee of $25 for the owner of each animal that bites to pay into the State’s Pet Population Control Fund.
Requires the owner of a vicious dog to pay $100 public safety fine to the State’s Pet Population Control Fund.
Allows a judge the discretion to order a vicious dog euthanized.
Establishes a $500 fine for the owner of a vicious dog who fails to comply with the court’s order. Animal control is authorized to impound a vicious dog when the owner fails to comply with the court’s order.
Changes the burden of proof of a dangerous dog from “clear and convincing” to a “preponderance” of evidence.
Requires the owner of a dog found to be dangerous to pay $50 public safety fine to the State’s Pet Population Control Fund.
Allows animal control to impound a dog found to be dangerous if the owner fails to comply with the dangerous dog order.
Provides immunity from liability for any municipality, county or other government entity that allows feral cat colonies or trap, neuter and release programs.
Provides immunity to veterinarians or animal shelters that notify the registered owners of microchips scanned in pets.
Provides immunity from liability to veterinarians who sterilize cats for feral cat colonies or trap, neuter or release programs.
Provides immunity from liability to animal shelter workers who microchip animals.
The law becomes effective immediately.

Enforcing animal laws
Southern Illinois
Old 12-02-2005
Provisional Posting ACO

ddiamond is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anna's Bill

I work in Illinois and I'm still confused about Anna's Bill.
Old 12-03-2005
Forum Friend

Michelle B.

"Establishes a public safety fee of $25 to be assessed for each dog running at large; $20 shall be deposited in the State’s Pet Population Control Fund and $5 will be retained by the county or municipality."

I wonder how many municipalities will replace "running at large" with alternative terms in an effort to keep that $20.

What brought all this on, anyway? Is it because the state is broke and this is a desperate grab for revenue? Or a knee-jerk response to a specific incident? Has the consititutionality of this law been challenged yet?

Interesting...

Michelle B.
Old 12-03-2005
Administrator
Site AdminGiga-posting ACO

Mark Kumpf has disabled reputation

[quote="Michelle B."]"Establishes a public safety fee of $25 to be assessed for each dog running at large; $20 shall be deposited in the State’s Pet Population Control Fund and $5 will be retained by the county or municipality."

I wonder how many municipalities will replace "running at large" with alternative terms in an effort to keep that $20.

What brought all this on, anyway? Is it because the state is broke and this is a desperate grab for revenue? Or a knee-jerk response to a specific incident? Has the consititutionality of this law been challenged yet?

Interesting...

Michelle B.[/quote

$5 does not even cover the cost of the localities efforts. Welcome to bankrupt the agency. And to answer the second part..

This code was drafted by one of the major national animal organizations and is proposed as "model" legislation that they will push elsewhere. While their organization has done some really great things and benefited many people and pets, this is probably one of the most poorly drafted pieces of legislation I have ever seen. Visit www.nacanet.org and check out the current issue of the State of Affairs online newsletter for more info.
Old 12-04-2005
Provisional Posting ACO

Officer487

Okay being a Canadian ACO I am not familar with Ann'a Bill. But by reading some of the posts I guess Illinois will start charging additional fees etc. Just for reference here is a brief list of some the fees charged local residents in my City. Dog license fee ranges from $20.00 - $ 200.00 depending on breed, and dangerous dog status. Impound fees go from $ 80.00 - $ 1000.00 depending on # of times impounded and dangerous dog status. And roughly for violators who are caught breaking local bylaws, the fine go from $ 100.00 - $500.00 and or/ court appearance.