ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Upcoming Events

Old 11-10-2005
Certified Posting ACO

BA ACO
Default handling vicious dogs???

Does anyone know of any course, seminar, training that teaches how to deal with vicious dogs. We have an officer here that freaks out whenever a dog shows any kind of aggression. personally I think she is in the wrong line of work, but she doesnt want to quit and her job is not as risk...yet. Just wondering if anyone knows of anything out there that might teach her out to react and capture or just get over her fear. Ive tried everything that I know of....Im at a loss.
Old 11-10-2005
Administrator
Site AdminGiga-posting ACO

Mark Kumpf has disabled reputation
Default Re: handling vicious dogs???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA ACO
Does anyone know of any course, seminar, training that teaches how to deal with vicious dogs. We have an officer here that freaks out whenever a dog shows any kind of aggression. personally I think she is in the wrong line of work, but she doesnt want to quit and her job is not as risk...yet. Just wondering if anyone knows of anything out there that might teach her out to react and capture or just get over her fear. Ive tried everything that I know of....Im at a loss.
Oklahoma City May 2006 NACA Conference. I'll see what else is around.
Old 11-12-2005
Probationary Trainee

Erin Suggett
Default Feel Free To Contact Me...

I am the Bite Prevention Training Officer for Orange County Animal Control. I am also an Animal Control Officer.

My course is four hours of classroom time and two hours of field time. I use my own live dogs (Belgian Malinois) which are trained to bite (they are Ring Sport dogs) in my classes that I teach to the new ACO's. I have the ACO's practice their defense techniques with these dogs while wearing a protective bite suit. The dogs are also handled safely on leash by an experienced handler during this phase of the training process. The ACO's are able to actually strike the dogs with very soft, padded sticks (simulating the Ketch-All) as the dogs are being held on leash in front of them while tryng to bite. The dogs NEVER actually bite the ACO's (unless there is an accident, and that is the reason for the protective bite suit). The ACO's are actually able to see what a charging dog looks like when it is coming full speed at them. They are also able to watch a live demostration afterward with the dogs working on trained decoys in the bitesuits so that they can see how and where most dogs prefer to bite. All of the ACO's who take this training course say that the hands on training in the bitesuit, as well as being able to watch how the dogs run, hit and bite on another person is something that they will always remember. They also say it is a BLAST of fun! I've had ACO's tell me that they have NEVER had a dog charge at them in their LIFE and that they have NEVER seen what a dog looks like when it is about to, or actually biting a person up close. They always walk away from the field portion of my class with a new perspective, as well as respect, for the dogs they will be dealing with in the field. It serves for good experience to let them have a little insight on these very important situations prior to hitting the field. Maybe your ACO could benefit from an experience similar to this IF you have trained and experienced dogs and handlers to assist you.

Although we are in different states, please feel free to contact me with any info or questions that you may have. Your ACO can also contact me as well. My e-mail address is listed.

Thank you,
Erin Suggett
Old 11-12-2005
Administrator
Site AdminGiga-posting ACO

Mark Kumpf has disabled reputation

Utah Animal Control Association meeting in January will have sessions on dealing with vicious dogs inthe field.
Old 11-27-2005
Provisional Posting ACO

Officer487

In a bit of a twist, I work with an Officer who feels that every single dog is her best friend. This person will walk blindly into any situation and it is my concern this person will be a risk to other Officers and herself. If anyone knows of any aggression training/ courses being offered in British Columbia or Washington State, please let me know. Thanks Much.