ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 10-01-2014
Provisional Posting ACO

chgodon is on a distinguished road
Default SOUTHERN CA ASP TRAINING

Does any Southern CA officers know where I can get a POST certificate on the use of the ASP baton (bite stick)? I spoke with my Chief and found out we could carry one but he prefers a certificate. I suggested a certificate from the Consumer Affairs Dept, but he favors a POST certificate.
Old 10-01-2014
Kennel Commander

halfacop is an unknown quantity at this point

Questions:

Does your departments road patrol carry ASP's?
Does your department have a trainer certified to instruct?
Where do they go to get certified?

Would seem to me - they would simply send you where they send their guys to get this certification. I'm sure its different on the west coast - just thinking out loud..
Old 10-01-2014
Provisional Posting ACO

We do not carry ASPs at this time. Our department recently got the OK from the County to use them but none of the department supervisors are certified to instruct.
Old 10-01-2014
Kennel Commander

Let me be more specific....

Yes - I understand your department does not carry them. I somewhat assumed that perhaps you were "under" the local PD hence my questions were based on whether your local PD carries them and has an instructor?

If the local PD / Sheriff Office carries them - that's whom I would be looking to and asking if they could supply you with the training. That's how my former agency (Indy) does it - they utilize IMPD's instructors for the training and policy.

I currently work for a PD - and am certified with Baton, OC, Taser, DT's, Firearm, etc the same as our road patrol. Its best to have the same training / certification as the LEO's around you that your working with in my opinion.

I only mention it because sometimes while looking at the "Big Picture" - we often over look the obvious. Good Luck..
Old 10-01-2014
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

acofred is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfacop View Post
Let me be more specific....

Yes - I understand your department does not carry them. I somewhat assumed that perhaps you were "under" the local PD hence my questions were based on whether your local PD carries them and has an instructor?

If the local PD / Sheriff Office carries them - that's whom I would be looking to and asking if they could supply you with the training. That's how my former agency (Indy) does it - they utilize IMPD's instructors for the training and policy.

Remember than some of us are not under the PD; I, for example, am in Public Works. In my state the police are certified by CLEET (Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training). CLEET will not allow anyone other than currently employed law enforcement or security officers to attend their training.
Old 10-01-2014
Giga-posting ACO

aco30l13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to aco30l13

Just as an FYI you can no longer carry the ASP under the Department of Consumer Affairs certificate. Under PC 22295(G) in the state of California you now have to have completed POST certification for the carrying of the Baton on duty. We have been trying for 2 years to get people certified, POST says to go ahead and apply to any POST course, but when we call we are told they are for Law Enforcement Personnel only. All I can say is good luck. Work with your local S/O or PD to try and get the training.
-American Indian Proverb

After dark all cats are leopards.
-American Indian Proverb,
Old 10-01-2014
Kennel Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by acofred View Post
Remember than some of us are not under the PD; I, for example, am in Public Works. In my state the police are certified by CLEET (Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training). CLEET will not allow anyone other than currently employed law enforcement or security officers to attend their training.
Right - it was a slip on my part. Even my old agency isn't actually under the PD but are still able to obtain training from them. I have no idea why any municipality would want it set up any other way than under the local LE agency... smh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aco30l13 View Post
Just as an FYI you can no longer carry the ASP under the Department of Consumer Affairs certificate. Under PC 22295(G) in the state of California you now have to have completed POST certification for the carrying of the Baton on duty. We have been trying for 2 years to get people certified, POST says to go ahead and apply to any POST course, but when we call we are told they are for Law Enforcement Personnel only. All I can say is good luck. Work with your local S/O or PD to try and get the training.
I would hang myself if I had to work in Kalifornia.... I honestly think I would.... ugh
Old 10-09-2014
Giga-posting ACO

aco30l13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to aco30l13

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfacop View Post
Right - it was a slip on my part. Even my old agency isn't actually under the PD but are still able to obtain training from them. I have no idea why any municipality would want it set up any other way than under the local LE agency... smh...

I would hang myself if I had to work in Kalifornia.... I honestly think I would.... ugh
It's getting worse and worse here. The government tells us that we have to change the way we do things but whern you try and get the proper training, the same people act like they have no idea. I agree with some of the changes but you can't put the cart before the horse, you need to have the process in place before the enforcement.
-American Indian Proverb

After dark all cats are leopards.
-American Indian Proverb,
Old 10-21-2014
Provisional Posting ACO

Today, I contacted my County Sheriff's training dept. I was told there is no CA POST certificate for ASP training. The ASP certification is covered under the POST Academy training. So in other words, I need to take the whole academy to be certified in the ASP. The officer recommended some type of training and just not in my personnel file that I've gone through the training. The problem is the Sheriff's dept doesn't offer a stand alone ASP training. Any ideas or where I can get a POST cert on the ASP even if its a 4 hour course?
Old 10-21-2014
Kennel Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by chgodon View Post
....... So in other words, I need to take the whole academy to be certified in the ASP.....
When I was working at Indy as the sergeant in charge of training - I would simply contact the academy and let them know I had officers in need of baton and OC training. He would then call me and schedule our officers to attend just those days of training alongside the rest of the recruits.....

Worked well for everyone. I know it's a whole nuther world out there than it is here - just letting you know what we do here. Perhaps it's a possibility on your end....