Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > In the News

Old 10-11-2005
Grand Poobah Webgeek
Site Admin

A. Gianotto has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to A. Gianotto
Default Riverside, CA Animal control officer investigated for abuse

http://www.thedesertsun.com/apps/pbc...DATE/510070349

A Riverside County animal control officer is under investigation for yanking an uncooperative dog that was rescued from Hurricane Katrina off the airplane and dragging him by the leash across the concrete.

Jacob Jenkins is an interim animal control officer for the county's animal services location in Indio. He's been transferred to a division that does not work with animals pending a county human resources investigation, according to Animal Services Director Robert Miller.

Jenkins is not facing criminal charges at this time.

Jenkins was one of about 15 county employees at Palm Springs International Airport on Sept. 27, helping Save A Pet rescue about 120 dogs and cats from Hurricane Katrina.

Jenkins was videotaped yanking one of the last dogs off the plane - a four-year-old, tan-colored chow mix - by her leash. He is then viewed pulling the small dog across the pavement.

The leash was in the dog's mouth and the friction caused bleeding, according to Save A Pet manager Herb Moniz. The dog also had scrapes on her hind legs.

"It's a real shame that because of the action of one person that all our efforts for Katrina has really been left with a black eye," says Miller, who heard about the incident last week while with a team in New Orleans. "We most certainly don't condone his actions. It's not something that the department is proud of."

The entire incident was caught on tape by a freelance journalist filming the rescue.

The dog, now being called Katrina by Moniz, is doing fine.

R.I.P. Susan Caskey AKA "Critterfuz": April 1970 - Dec 2007.
R.I.P. Keegan Merrick AKA "RichmondACO": July 1977 - Jan 2009.

We miss you.
Old 10-11-2005
Giga-posting ACO

Sunny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Sunny

I say fire him and hope that the door kicks him in the A## hard on the way out!!!

Sunny

"Saving just one pet won't change the world, but, surely the world will change for that one pet." You might be the only love they know in their life.

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly

You can either be the cure or the disease.
Old 10-11-2005
Certified Posting ACO

jimbo
Default Mr. Miller's Katrina effort is

The dog is fine? Alrighty then, throw the human under the bus!

Four legs good, two legs bad!~

Quote:
"It's a real shame that because of the action of one person that all our efforts for Katrina has really been left with a black eye," says Miller
Please spare us the political rhetoric. I have a certain amount of disdain for people who grandstand, and use the media to create a "beyond reproach" image. I wonder if there had been no film of the incident Mr Miller would have been concerned at all. Could someone have helped the officer? He was interim? Inexperienced? Plaster his name in the paper nationwide, he screwed up. Never mind that the dog is ok, and that he was there to help in the first place.

He should have known that if the animal wasn't leash trained that he should carry it. What was the demeanor of the animal? Why did fourteen other county officers not stop the abuse!!

Why do we persecute people who we believe treat animals less sensitive than we believe they should?

Dragging a dog on a leash is not good, but can somebody please use common sense?
Dragging a dog on a leash in front of a camera is worse! But did I mention that someone should use fair judgment?
Old 10-11-2005
Certified Posting ACO

jimbo
Default Soap Box!

Why can't the official response be -- We regret that this animal was treated in a rough manner. We have had the animal treated for his MINOR injuries. The animal is doing fine, and has suffered no psycological damage, and is available for adoption. The officer has been reprimanded and retrained.---as opposed to embarassing this man by putting his name in print with a nationwide story.

If the story had been handled in that manner, the ignorant ACO, and the dog would have benefitted. I think just Mr. Miller's public image benefitted in the way the story was originally reported. I hope his proverbial "black eye" gets better after the ACO finds a better job.

The people who wrote the story are more concerned with brandishing the public image than in being a part of the solution. I wonder if ACO's families get hungry while their breadwinner is in between jobs? I wonder if this guy can even find another job in that area?

You see some of us take this business very seriously. We are here for the long haul. We are here to make things better everyday. Not to grandstand and engage in self perpetuating propaganda.
Old 10-12-2005
Almighty ACO

Caninelaw is on a distinguished road

I've got to agree with Jimbo. What was the dog's temperment? Did it try to bite the guy when he tried to pick it up? I'd have to know the whole story. I've had a few incidents that probably wouldn't look good if caught on tape out of context. How many of you have had a dog on a katch-all screaming and biting its tounge and bleeding all over? My experience with the press is, if I never have to talk to them, or get my name or picture in the paper I'll be happy. Almost without exception every time I have been forced to talk to the press they have screwed it up. Usually, when I get a call to contact the press I ask dispatch "has it been approved by the PIO?" Usually the answer is No, so I tell them "get the PIO to approve it and I'll talk to them." Usually the PIO is unavailable or, if he is there, he then handles it himself, (since it's really his job). Anyway, back to the subject. I'm not saying this guy in Riverside was right or wrong, I don't have all the facts. But, I just think someone's jumped the gun here.
Old 10-12-2005
Grand Poobah Webgeek
Site Admin

I don't disagree - but to drag a dog roughly enough to actually draw blood? Something's not right there - not to mention the fact that the Riverside AC dept has had problems for *years* (corruption, incompetence, etc.) It is only recently that they have started to get their collective sh*t together and weed out some of the bad seeds.

We miss you.
Old 10-12-2005
Certified Posting ACO

jimbo
Default Hay!

When you restrain something, anything, and transport it, against it's own wishes, sometimes it just doesn't look like a happy event. When a dog struggles, it is usually due to not being leash trained. Very often that can be attributed to a poor environment, or lack of any time being spent with the animal.

None of that affects whether or not the animal must be transported. That is precisely why when you see seizure footage on the news, organizations that plan well use crates to transport the animals in front of the cameras.

That could have been an answer to this situation. I was just bothered by the Director of an organization responding to the sensationallism of the incident by attacking his own employee. We see this someimes in politically charged situations. I look forward to the day when logic and reasonable action are prevailant in Municipal Government.

I think the polarization of the issues, between humane organizations, and animal control, does not belong in the media. We are all in the same boat. We must work together, and refrain from using public forums to demean folks who are in our boat.

One of the reasons I think this forum can be so valuable in shaping our industry, well, at least in bridging the gap between the two main facets of this industry, is that we can exchange opinions freely and maybe not have any negative impact, or cause a polarization of the public opinion. We should welcome opposing opinions, and varied actions. We cannot benefit by ignoring the differences, we must continue trying to establish a safe and healthy co-existence between animals and humans.

I think that at the core level, humane organizations began to help protect animals from abuse from humans. Animal Control at it's core was born of the need to protect humans from animals, and zoonotic diseases. However we really all want the same things don't we? No one can win by convincing the general public they are better than the other, or that they love animals more because they don't believe in euthanasia, or being mean to them and dragging them around. Let's focus on making the co-existence part better.

ps. Incidentally I'm not alledging that anyone here is doing that,
that was in reference to the news story. The media loves a good fight
and cares not of the carnage left behind.
Old 10-12-2005
Grand Poobah Webgeek
Site Admin

Default Re: Hay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo
I look forward to the day when logic and reasonable action are prevailant in Municipal Government.
I wish I could be so optimistic and think that's going to happen. (Unless of course, you were being sarcastic - in which case yeah, so do I.)

While I agree with all of the abstract things you spoke of, specifically the media loving a good fight, I also feel that sometimes it's not about polarizing. I preface this by saying that I wasn't there during this incident, so I can't say one way or another about what actually happened. I do know that this particular officer has had problems in the past.

I look at it this way - yes, the media does make a mess out of things sometimes, which can be counter-productive for all parties involved (except themselves, of course) - but they also play a key role in opening the public's eyes to many of these issues. If the media hadn't taken the Rodney King story and plastered it all over the networks, that atrocity would have slipped under the radar of public scrutiny, and LAPD would have been able to continue with their brutality with no one saying a word.

Don't misunderstand me - I am not saying that what this officer allegedly did was comparable to what happened to Rodney King - but I hope you can see my point. When there are problems with an agency or an individual, sometimes articles like this are what start to propel change.

When public outcry goes on long enough, sometimes the powers that be decide to finally throw money at the problem - which occasionally actually *is* the answer.

We miss you.
Old 10-12-2005
Forum Friend

aco416iris
Send a message via MSN to aco416iris Send a message via Yahoo to aco416iris

This is definatly one of the healthiest debates I've seen in a while. I can definatly see both points, Jimbo's being that the media is quick to take things out of context, misrepresent what our actual purpose in the AC field is and just cause unrepairable damage to those who want to fight for whats right, and Allison's being that perhaps it's about time that this officer got the attention he needed and was investigated because of his past history and the media finally brought this up. When it all comes down to it, I definatly have to agree more with Jimbo, since being an ACO myself, I have constantly feard that the "wrong" person has watched me fight that nasty shepherd or narly chow on the end of a catch-pole and flung into the back of my truck, doing WHATEVER it takes not to get bitten. There have been numerous incidents with such type of a dog on the end of a pole, attacking and biting the heck out of it, leaving a blood trail behind and I am constantly fearing seeing my picture on the front page of the Ottawa Sun saying that I'm being investigated for animal abuse...the one thing I am obviously firmly against.
The toughest part about this debate is that Allison raises an excellent point as well, being that we rely on the media in a positive way as well. For example, who do we rely on to put those images of the poor kitty or sad puppy in the newspaper and on tv to encourage bleeding hearts everywhere to run to the nearest pound and adopt 1, 2 or 3 pets!
As has been mentioned before, all the facts are not present and therefore it's hard to judge. All I can say is that I hate when officer's are penalized PUBLICALLY for a long time for a decesion that they had to make in a split second. I know I wouldn't want it to be me.