ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 11-23-2014
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

mzk10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does NACA (National Animal Control Association) offer ASP training? Perhaps several agencies can pay to have NACA come out and teach/certify everybody.
Old 11-23-2014
Kennel Commander

halfacop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzk10 View Post
Does NACA (National Animal Control Association) offer ASP training? Perhaps several agencies can pay to have NACA come out and teach/certify everybody.
The issue is this. There is a big difference between getting certified ASP training for use as a defensive tool against animals AND training for defense of humans.

NACA does not certify officers is human defensive tactics, they have (at least in the past) had workshops for certifying officers with the ASP as a "bite stick".

If your only looking for certification in defense against animals than this can acquired and maybe honored by whatever dept you work for. You'd have to check with their training division.

If your looking to get certified with a baton for defensive purposes against humans than your going to have to find a trainer that is law enforcement certified in the area that can give you this training and that is recognized by your department.

It's all liability. When an officer deploys a baton and strikes an individual with it - they better have been properly certified in the locations of strikes (red zone / green zone) and so on. One miss strike and no regional POST training to back it up and you'll be paying out the ass in court.

For instance - at my former agency I was ILEA certified in Monadnock Autolock Batons. I was trained per dept policy and procedure. When I switched agencies (which was just north and shared county line) I had to be trained and certified in that agencies policy and procedure as well as hands on because they issue friction lock batons not Auto-locks.

Different agency, different type of baton, different policies. Officers have to be trained properly in their departments use of force continuum if their going to carry for defense against humans. So you can see that in a instance involving the baton - a NATIONAL CERTIFICATION isn't going to cut it unless it's simply for bite stick purposes and ONLY if your current agency approves.

That's the downfall of NACA as a whole. A national certification doesn't do squat if the agencies hiring you have their own policies, procedures and way of doing things. 3/4 of the training, if not more, I recieved at NACA was useless to me because my agency did things completely different and I couldn't apply the training to my job.

There is no National Police Association Acadamy for instance. Law enforcement training is regional and so are the certifications.
Old 11-25-2014
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

mzk10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfacop View Post
The issue is this. There is a big difference between getting certified ASP training for use as a defensive tool against animals AND training for defense of humans.

NACA does not certify officers is human defensive tactics, they have (at least in the past) had workshops for certifying officers with the ASP as a "bite stick".
Yes, we have an asp problem here as well. I work for the PD. My boss trains ASP use at the academy. But he only trains for use against people. Since we don't have anybody to certify us how to use against animals -- nor can we find a written protocol for use against animals -- we are not allowed to carry "for liability reasons." NACA doesn't come to Florida because we have our own state animal control association. But FACA doesn't have bite stick certification classes. It's a catch-22. BTW, our City will not openly allow us to carry weapons to be used against people. Even my pepper spray was authorized "for use against dogs." That doesn't mean that the Sergeant didn't show/tell me how to defend myself against people, but . . .

I didn't see in the original post if the asp use was for people or animals. I posted the suggestion in case the poster had a problem like mine.
Old 11-25-2014
Kennel Commander

halfacop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzk10 View Post
-- we are not allowed to carry "for liability reasons."
That's always the answer when asked but that excuse will be right out the window when an officer is injured and sues the city for failure to supply protective equipment.

Keep asking and write policies and procedures and submitting them. In other words - go to them with an answer not just a problem....

Last edited by halfacop; 11-25-2014 at 02:24 PM.