ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > In the News

Old 04-29-2011
Field Operative

maddog is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Could be interesting.......

CANFIELD Youngstown Vindicator

The Mahoning County commissioners have hired a Troy, Ohio, woman as county human-resources director and a Youngstown LAWYER as county dog warden.

The commissioners hired Rachel L. Livengood as human-resources director, effective May 17, at an annual salary of $67,500, during their Thursday meeting at the Canfield Township Hall.

Livengood started with the Ohio Department of Transportation in 1998 as a labor relations officer at the agency’s Sidney office and moved in 2007 to its Columbus headquarters, where the Kasich administration chose in January not to retain her, she said on her county job application.

The commissioners hired Atty. Matt Ditchey as dog warden at $45,000 a year, effective May 9. Ditchey, who does arbitration work for his brother’s law firm in Cleveland, said he would keep his law license current, but work full-time as dog warden.

Ditchey is a board member and former board president of Angels for Animals. “I love dogs and cannot stand to see them suffer. I spend almost all of my free time doing volunteer work on behalf of animal welfare issues,” Ditchey said.
Old 04-29-2011
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

acofred is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog View Post
Ditchey is a board member and former board president of Angels for Animals. “I love dogs and cannot stand to see them suffer. I spend almost all of my free time doing volunteer work on behalf of animal welfare issues,” Ditchey said.
Hmm...I'm thinking there's a good chance we'll see this shelter in the news in the future for being overcrowded to the point of cruelty...
Old 04-29-2011
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by acofred View Post
Hmm...I'm thinking there's a good chance we'll see this shelter in the news in the future for being overcrowded to the point of cruelty...
No you won't.... the lawyer will cover it up as they usually do, if he is committing cruelty. If he is legit, then good for him for wanting to help.

Hey, think about it. You have me as a vet. and an ACO/ACI. There are professionals that do care about animals to the point of working in shelters for much less than we can get working in our profession because money is not our motive. I work full-time as a vet. and on-call as an ACO/ACI. I enjoy it and I feel that I'm good at both jobs. Recently, at least in NJ, more and more professionals are becoming ACO/ACIs. Most come from some sort of animal background and/or police/fire/EMT. In other words, most are first responders of some sort who might get to the scene before an ACO can be located. I was the only vet. in my class, but previously, in NJ history, many of the first ACOs were vets. This is going to be interesting to see a lawyer try to be an ACO.
Old 04-30-2011
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by acofred View Post
True dat!

Cheers, Scooterchic

Old 04-30-2011
Kennel Commander

halfacop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRNEGRIN6 View Post
This is going to be interesting to see a lawyer try to be an ACO.
Wanna see it - Come to Indy......

Both our Director and our Assistant Director are "former" Prosecuters of the City. The director doesn't get out on the road by any means but our Assistant Director (the LT) goes out on all the "good stuff" (warrants, sweeps, high profile cases).....
Old 04-30-2011
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfacop View Post
Wanna see it - Come to Indy......

Both our Director and our Assistant Director are "former" Prosecuters of the City. The director doesn't get out on the road by any means but our Assistant Director (the LT) goes out on all the "good stuff" (warrants, sweeps, high profile cases).....
It's funny. I go out on calls myself. Some of the police officers when they saw me, thought that I could not handle it due to my size and the fact that "She's a doctor". They were quite surprised when I climbed fences and snared dogs. Sometimes, I might need help getting them into the truck, especially if the animal outweighs me....I'm only about 94 lbs. To me, the ACO work is quite relaxing compared to what I do on a daily basis. It gives me an opportunity to see a problem in the field and try to resolve it. I have always found puzzles/problems interesting and relaxing. After about 13 years of vet. work on top of the 8 years of vet. tech. work, the vet. work becomes somewhat routine, with an occasional case that does not follow the rules. Out in the field, you never know how the animal is going to respond to your approach, etc.
Old 05-02-2011
Field Operative

carrie_cat

It's good to see that not everyone here subscribes to the view that you must be an "industry insider" to want to improve animal care and control. If you weren't born to ACO parents, is it so much a given that you are cruel? Good grief! What a lousy attitude SOME here have. Are you working to CREATE situations where people will fail animals?? Geez. Get a life. There are a lot of skills that people from other professions have, that can be VERY key. When all you have is a hammer, then everything starts to look like a nail. Think about it.
Old 05-02-2011
Administrator
Site AdminGiga-posting ACO

Mark Kumpf has disabled reputation

Perhaps some folks are getting a bit ahead of themselves throwing the new folks under the bus. There are some exemplary folks in this field who came from other walks of life and landed in animal welfare. I was a pizza store manager, video store manager and substitute teacher before I joined animal welfare. I'm sure that some of the comments here could have been substituted with my name 20 some years ago! Everyone was "something" before they joined animal control. Doctor, lawyer, teacher, bricklayer, window washer, librarian, etc. Rather than pre-judge the outcome, give them a chance. No issue with some trying out the "fortune telling profession" but keep it civil and remember that there are many roads to success.
Old 05-02-2011
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

My personal opinion is that nobody should every be in charge of an animal shelter without at least two years of experience working in an open admission shelter. It seems to me that hiring somebody with no actual experience is like hiring a new Chief of Police because they watch CSI.

However, in a neighboring city to mine they had a lot of supervisory issues, and for various reasons they cold not keep an ACO supervisor. When they would move up an ACO, the ACO who had been a good field officer was quickly overwhelmed by the responsibility of management and requested to go back to ACO. At one point they appointed a police sergeant to supervise ACO, and that didn’t work out very well at all. They finally hired a supervisor who had previously managed a bar, and had spent some time working in a vet’s office, but she has worked out exceptionally well.

So who knows? Ditchey could be like the mayor in central Texas a few years ago who put an immediate stop to shelter euthanasia, and he would take shelter animal out to store parking lots on the weekends trying to place them. It wasn’t long at all before the shelter was packed like sardines in a can and the ACOs were not responding to calls because there was no where to put animals if they impounded them.

Or, he could come on board with no delusions of grandeur, run the operation in a professional, by the book manner, and make the shelter a model operation. We won’t know for about 6 months.
Old 05-04-2011

Njaco is on a distinguished road

I gotta agree with GtO. Over the last 30 years, every situation where a neophyte was put in charge of a shelter or ACO operation in this area, it eventually failed. I guess its that mentality with upper management that we're all just D** Catchers and how hard can it be. BUT, again like GtO, lets hope for the best.