ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > In the News

Old 03-21-2011
Administrator
Site AdminGiga-posting ACO

Mark Kumpf has disabled reputation
Default Chesterfield County, S.C. - Dog Fighting Allegations

http://www.foxcharlotte.com/news/sc-...118342324.html

CHESTERFIELD CO., S.C. - Cement weights, a chain, a "work out" area, all at an animal shelter. Maybe the Chesterfield County employees or the inmates who worked at the shelter were using the equipment on their lunch break. Dog fighting experts say that type of equipment can be used to train pit bulls. We're told the equipment has been gone for a few years. "In my opinion, nothing has gotten better, they've only gotten better at hiding things," says animal rescuer "Jennifer."

She has more than four years of experience with the Chesterfield Shelter. On her first visit, she went undercover and asked about buying "game dogs." She says she was led straight to the pits.

She says an inmate, desperate to sell her a dog for ten or 20 bucks, set up an impromptu fight. She says, "He was talking about one dog in particular that would make a lot of money and he takes a smaller mixed breed dog from the kennel nearby and he slings his dog in with the pit bull and I watched it get mauled to death right in front of me."

Even now, four years later, she asked us to protect her identity. "I do, I kinda fear for my safety, because you never know who's involved."

One of the county employee's names kept popping up on dogs, Jennifer says. Brian Burch, the shelter director, is also a convicted felon. In the 90's, he was sentenced to three years in prison plus a $10,000 fine for coke and LSD.

Rescuers like Jennifer tell us kennel tags marked "hold pit bull" were common place. The shelter doesn't allow pits to be adopted. "On kennels, there was papers saying 'hold for Brian Burch.' A lot of these dogs would be severely scarred, so skinny. Every one of 'em, pits. Never another breed of dog," says Jennifer.

And then, there's the possible Michael Vick connection. News of his arrest in 2007 apparently gave some folks in Chesterfield County something to brag about, according to Jennifer. "I know a lot of people have told me they have bought dogs from Brian and Brian breeds dogs and Brian sells dogs and so they were proud of their dogs at that point because they said their dogs had blood lines of some of Michael Vick's blood line, that Brian's dogs could be traced back to Vick."

We left messages with the Sheriff and Brian Burch but they didn't return our calls. Burch and three other shelter employees remain on administrative leave.
Old 03-21-2011
Administrator

Considering the information in the article, the shelter would have to have its own license or have a vet with a license for the euthanasia drugs. Accordingly, the DEA lists as one of its automatic exclusions, any drug conviction for Schedule I drugs (LSD is one of these)... If the vet didn't know that they were providing drugs for an agency with this type of situation, they are probably mortified. And, with this kind of felony conviction, Chesterfield County must have an interesting criteria for hiring.

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/pu...t/section2.htm

Some examples of substances listed in Schedule I are: heroin; lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD); marijuana (cannabis); peyote; methaqualone; and methylene-dimethoxy-methamphetamine ("ecstasy").
Old 03-21-2011
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

acofred is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kumpf View Post
Considering the information in the article, the shelter would have to have its own license or have a vet with a license for the euthanasia drugs.
That's only if they euthanize via lethal injection at this "shelter." For example, at my place, I'm the only employee in animal control, and am not certified. We contract our euth with a nearby city that has a certified tech. I'm in Public Works, and while I have a clean record, my bosses routinely hire Public Works employees that are drug felons, who could gain access to the shelter.

One more reason it's best to have AC under the PD, where felons get weeded out up front.
Old 03-22-2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by acofred View Post
That's only if they euthanize via lethal injection at this "shelter." For example, at my place, I'm the only employee in animal control, and am not certified. We contract our euth with a nearby city that has a certified tech. I'm in Public Works, and while I have a clean record, my bosses routinely hire Public Works employees that are drug felons, who could gain access to the shelter.

One more reason it's best to have AC under the PD, where felons get weeded out up front.
Poor Memphis, they have a bunch of "re-entry" staff who are not even allowed to issue citations.
Old 03-22-2011

Quote:
Poor Memphis, they have a bunch of "re-entry" staff who are not even allowed to issue citations.
Heck, neither can I...
Old 03-22-2011
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

Quote:
Considering the information in the article, the shelter would have to have its own license or have a vet with a license for the euthanasia drugs. Accordingly, the DEA lists as one of its automatic exclusions, any drug conviction for Schedule I drugs (LSD is one of these)... If the vet didn't know that they were providing drugs for an agency with this type of situation, they are probably mortified. And, with this kind of felony conviction, Chesterfield County must have an interesting criteria for hiring.
Even if they don't euthanize at the shelter, most shelters have some controlled substances for sedation, or emergency treatment of seizing dogs (for example valium). If they don't, most ACOs would take the animals to a local vet. Would you really want employees that may need to run a dog to a vet. office with a drug conviction? I'll tell you, I trusted the employees (ACOs) from one municipality since I did not know the "criteria" (if any) for hiring municipal employees. If I had known, I would not have allowed either one of them near my controlled drugs, let alone let them know where they were kept. (In emergency situations, I often had them follow me in the back and they saw me drawing the drugs out of my locked cabinets.)

There should be some national mandate where any employees that might be exposed to controlled drugs need to have a background check. Any drug conviction, no job period. The vets. should not be required to have these tests run; the States should be responsible. When I applied to vet. school, I had to sign a waiver allowing the school to do a background check and allowing even childhood records opened, if any. This means that if you had anything on you from when you were a child, you could never become a vet., yet, just about anybody can be a municipal employee.
Old 03-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRNEGRIN6 View Post
...just about anybody can be a municipal employee.
Yep, I'm living proof! LOL!