ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > In the News

Old 02-11-2009
Probationary Trainee

crittercop777 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to crittercop777
Default Sad

This is another example of why all of us ACOs need to lobby for changes in our city / state statutes - laws. ACOs have more contact with the general public then many other agencies. In many cases a physical attack or other forms of violence result in minimal punishment being given to those responsible. ACOs need to be included with Police, Fire and EMS statutes in regards to holding people accountable when someone commits a crime against an ACO. You go out for a call about an animal and end up dealing with irate people and if the situation indicates you may have to issue citations or even remove an animal. It can get rough. In the case of Officer Evans I hope those responsible are given the max punishment. A good officer was just doing his job and he paid the ultimate price for a couple of stupid people looking for a way to get high. As an ACO in Texas we all keep Officer Evans in our hearts and remember him when we go out there.
Old 02-11-2009
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittercop777 View Post
This is another example of why all of us ACOs need to lobby for changes in our city / state statutes - laws. ACOs have more contact with the general public then many other agencies. In many cases a physical attack or other forms of violence result in minimal punishment being given to those responsible. ACOs need to be included with Police, Fire and EMS statutes in regards to holding people accountable when someone commits a crime against an ACO. You go out for a call about an animal and end up dealing with irate people and if the situation indicates you may have to issue citations or even remove an animal. It can get rough. In the case of Officer Evans I hope those responsible are given the max punishment. A good officer was just doing his job and he paid the ultimate price for a couple of stupid people looking for a way to get high. As an ACO in Texas we all keep Officer Evans in our hearts and remember him when we go out there.

I believe that the punishment should be the same if an ACO is attacked/killed as any other officer. Along the same lines, I believe that an ACO should be held as accountable as a police officer, etc. if they violate the public's trust, file false reports/charges, etc. There are two that I know of that lied on the witness stand and/or filed false reports. No one is doing anything about it. Now, their township wants to negotiate with me due to what I have seen. The State Attorney General is involved. I wish I can say more but negotiations are to start next month. I'll tell more after everything has been said and done. Let's just say, you may hear/see a lot in the news later.
Old 02-11-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
Cop or not, I think if you murder you should get the death penalty.

Sunny

I have a very un-police view on the whole issue of crime and punishment. I knew this job was dangerous when I took it, and the thought that somebody could be held to a higher standard of punishment for killing me than if they were to kill my wife or daughter is just not acceptable. I gotta go along with Sunny on this one.
Old 02-11-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yes indeed. Punching and hurting or using physical force on a firefighter/EMT/Police is a felony. Doing the same thing to an ACO is a slap on the wrist and a fine. Things need to change.

Cheers, Scooterchic

Old 02-12-2009
Almighty ACO

ChicagoACOSupervisor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ChicagoACOSupervisor Send a message via Yahoo to ChicagoACOSupervisor

Quote:

I completely agree....until our legislators, administrators, and the general public stop looking at us as being lower then a garbage man, things will not change!

Illinois law is pretty good....it looks at an assault on ANY governmental official as being aggravated in nature, and whoever acts in that measure of stupidity will face severe penalties in court.

Problem is....getting the cops to understand that! They still look as us as being Joe Public citizens, and not officers in uniform.
Old 02-12-2009
Kennel Commander

BernCo_Geo is on a distinguished road

[quote=ChicagoACOSupervisor;47656]
Problem is....getting the cops to understand that! They still look as us as being Joe Public citizens, and not officers in uniform.[/QUOTE]

Oh they do as soon as they have an animal they have to deal with when they are out there. I even had them try to put me as point me as they are serving a search and siezure. My response was. "Sure give me Bullet proof vest and a firearm"
Old 02-12-2009
Almighty ACO

ChicagoACOSupervisor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ChicagoACOSupervisor Send a message via Yahoo to ChicagoACOSupervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernCo_Geo
Oh they do as soon as they have an animal they have to deal with when they are out there. I even had them try to put me as point me as they are serving a search and siezure. My response was. "Sure give me Bullet proof vest and a firearm"

No freaking way! Were they using you as a shield? You would of been completely justified in refusing to do that....

The lack of respect we are given never ceases to amaze me!
Old 02-12-2009
Kennel Commander

BernCo_Geo is on a distinguished road

Yeup I did not follow through with the order. Sure enough there "report of a vicious pitbull" turned out to be a corgy mix so scared when they entered. I had to flip the mattress and get him out that way.
Old 02-12-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

I had heard stories of things like that happening, but I have never heard it straight from somebody involved.
Old 01-11-2010
Administrator
Site AdminGiga-posting ACO

Mark Kumpf has disabled reputation
Default Update on case

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/81174092.html

WACO (January 11, 2010)—The trial of Jerry Mack Newland, who’s one of two men charged in the 2007 murder of Bellmead Animal Control Officer Bobby Evans, has been delayed because of difficulties locating a witness, a court administrator said Monday.
Newland was supposed to have gone on trial on Jan. 19 in 54th District Court in Waco.

A new date has not been set.
Newland’s codefendant, James Terry Ramirez, is scheduled to go on trial on April 12.
Authorities served arrest warrants on the two men in February 2008.
Newland was served at the Joe F. Gurney Unit in Tennessee Colony where he’s serving a prison sentence for possession of methamphetamine.
Ramirez was served at the McLennan County Jail, where he was held on unrelated charges.
According to a search warrant affidavit in late December, an unnamed informant told police that Ramirez and Newland killed Evans in June 2007.
The affidavit says the two men were looking for materials used to make methamphetamine near the Bellmead animal shelter as Evans returned with an animal he had picked up.
The affidavit said Ramirez and Newland followed Evans around the building and then shot him to death.
The affidavit quoted the informant as saying Ramirez and Newland "killed that man for no reason."