ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 05-15-2010
Kennel Commander

AC626 is on a distinguished road
Default Dispatch

What do you guys think of your dispatchers? Also, are you dispatched by an animal control dispatcher or through police dispatch?
Old 05-15-2010
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

90% of mine come through the ACO office, and since my records clerk is not authorized to us the PD radio, 90% of those are dispatched via cell phone. The 10% we get through PD dispatch are generally fine.

The main issue I have had with PD dispatchers is that they can be hap hazard about logging the information. At my last two cities, I have been supposed to check out on scene and back in again with the PD dispatch, and they are supposed to log it into the computer. I had been aware for quite some time that a good number of my calls were never logged in, but it became an issue one day when I was on a scene that escalated into a full blown domestic disturbance, and I had to give them my location again before they could dispatch a unit out.

Another problem I have had with PD dispatch is that once the caller says something about an animal, they stop listening and assign it to the ACO. We have been dispatched to thefts, burglaries and a variety of other calls that we had no business being within a mile of.

One of my favorites was a call when I was dispatched out on a call of a man hitting a dog with a stick. I was concerned all the way out because I had not put on my armor that morning, and that had the potential of being a hazardous call. When I got there if found that the suspect was a mental patient who was off of his meds, who had been chasing cars with the stick, and when the neighbors came out to see what was going on he started chasing them with the stick, but when a dog started barking at him he reached over the fence and swung at the dog with the stick. Fortunately for me, the suspect was back inside his house when I got there, so I hung around until PD arrived then I split.
Old 05-15-2010
Certified Posting ACO

Plainfield ACO is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Plainfield ACO Send a message via MSN to Plainfield ACO

My Dispatch Varies...

a) Police Dispatch via Police Pager/
b) Some1 calls my house..
c) Some1 Calls my cellphone..
d) Some1 Stops at my House..
e) The Police chief calls and Says "Why Are you ignoring all of the above "
f) The Chief sends a Officer to find me..lol

Me: "You are aware the the Town Has a leash law, Right?"
Dog owner: "Whats a Leash Law?"
Me: "........"

Last edited by Plainfield ACO; 05-30-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-16-2010
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road

We have our own. Really nice cause they know us well and know when we need help by the change in our voice or when PD is blowing smoke up our @$$ to get us the quicker. For example "We need a ACO unit to respond to the 3600 block of Roosevelt street because an officer is pursuing a dog running down the street."
dispatch says "We will have an ACO do an area check."
PD dispatch says. "No. We need someone now! The dog is aggressive." Dispatch says "right, that why it is running from your officer..."

We do use PD style 10-codes and our own we call 54-codes.

Cheers, Scooterchic

Old 05-16-2010
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

For the Municipality I work with, my partner gets the call from PD, then she assigns the ACO to the call. If the animal is injured or needs to be euthanized or needs to be held (due to being a found animal, etc.), I'm called in. The other calls, pretty much are handled by either one of my two partners depending on the time of day.

For the private organization, I get called out by PD. There are still kinks in the system since the contract between the municipality and the pirvate organization is relatively new. I'm working with my boss and the ACO supervisor from the municipality to see where the problems are and trying to find solutions to the problems.
Old 05-17-2010
Forum Friend

Lyra is on a distinguished road

I must be lucky. We are dispatched through the police channel and the dispatchers generally are pretty good about getting all the information, getting me back up when they think I may need it, logging my calls and sending me information on warrants and plates. Every now and then there is a goof up but they are an awesome group.
Old 05-17-2010
Kennel Commander

BernCo_Geo is on a distinguished road

We got our own M-F 8am till 4:30pm. Still got officers from 4:30pm till 10pm. ER calls from 9pm till 8am. During 4:30pm till 8am No dispatch. We get a txt msg from an answering service. Boy does it get messy.
Old 05-17-2010
Shelter Survivor

fyrdawg207 is on a distinguished road

PD dispatch here and no real issues.

Every officer is expected to check the dispatch log (CAD) before they go home and ensure that their calls are all logged and correct. If they aren't you fix them and notify the patrol supervisor, who then deals with the dispatcher in question.

Stay Safe

Fyr
Old 05-17-2010
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Sorry fyr, but I ain't driving halfway across town after I secure the shelter for the night to check up on the dispatcher. Also, end of shift is not when I need the info to be correct, its when the dog owner is chasing after me with a baseball bat or a gun that I want them to have their act together.
Old 05-17-2010
Shelter Survivor

fyrdawg207 is on a distinguished road

GTO,

A couple of things,

(1) It's called a mobile data terminal for a reason.
(I currently don't have one, they added a new cruiser and it was decided the ACO didn't need an MDT. It was a licensing issue)

(2) There is a lot more info in a CAD then just the location, there is suspect / victim info, initial notes, incident codes, ect.

You're correct the location info needs to be correct when you are on scene and not a few hours latter. However knowing that their work is constantly being reviewed has greatly increased the accuracy of our dispatchers data entry. As far the time involved, I was told to get it done during my normal shift. That means that I close the kennel about 30 minutes before the end of my shift and then drive to the PD and check my CAD's.

Stay Safe

Fyr