ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Job Openings

Old 07-19-2008
Kennel Commander

BernCo_Geo is on a distinguished road

Lets see. Alb, NM. For bernalillo county. Aco entry $9.44 hr. After probation $11.14. Pretty much stuck there unless a cost of living raise goes into effect. which i was lucky to get these past 2 years of 5%. Other then that it has to go by a carreer ladder. Naca certs are a must to obtain these. Its around $1 give or take.

Sad thing is our senior officer 24 1/2 years of being an ACO (He makes sure i repeat that properly lol ) he is $18-19 hr. With all naca and cruelty certs. With our neighboring Albuquerque city welfare ACOs. They with so much experience start off at $11.xx and after probation. They recieve $14 something an hour. Even with no Naca certs or additional training.
Old 07-19-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmelangell View Post
Yeah, doing that conversion I was kind of startled myself ... housing is 239% more expensive in SF ... have I mentioned that I hate rich people lately? (You do KNOW who is buying up all the real estate that the poor people are getting kicked out of, right???)
My part time employee is from the LA area, and her step dad is in real estate out there, plus the agent who did the deal on our house had just come back from some kind of event out there, and they both agreed on the price of my house in the LA market. The property tax info is from the step dad. He said the $3100 per year on my 1940 sq ft house was way out of line with LA taxing on a similar property. He never gave an exact amount, but I get the feeling that $1000 - $1500 may be a good guess.

But on the other hand, everybody I have talked to who moved here from out there said that even though they took a pay cut, they actually netted a raise because we have no state income tax.
Old 07-21-2008
Forum Friend

manthala is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmelangell View Post
As has been mentioned before, don't go just by the dollar sign. Making $21/hr in the Bay Area, where rents are $1200-1500 a month and cost of living is high, may not leave you "better off" than making $15 where rents and cost of living is cheaper. Here's a salary converter:

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costo...tofliving.html

Enter your current salary (if you get paid hourly, that's your hourly rate times 2080. Example: $15.75 x 2080 = $32,760/yr) and your current location, as well as the location you're interested in moving. It will show you how much you need to make to have the same standard of living.

For example, using the salary converter, a person making $35K a year ($16.80/hr) in El Paso would need to make $66K a year ($31.75/hr) in San Francisco, to maintain the same lifestyle.
Thanks for this. Great tool.
Old 07-21-2008
Certified Posting ACO

TollandAC is on a distinguished road

We are now (as of July 1) at $17.33 per hour but each only get 15 hours a week with having to carry the pager 24/7 4 days a week. We get zero benefits. BTW - there's two of us in town.

Tina
Old 07-21-2008
Forum Friend

ACODAVIS is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ACODAVIS
Default wages

No Benefits, No Retirement, No Safety. NOTHING! Everything is on you own!
Old 07-21-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Yall are making me feel better and better all the time. Locally Im in the lower pay scale, even though on the national average I above the median. I get all the (what I consider to be basic) perks such as 40 hours per week, OT, sick leave, vacation, insurance, retirement etc. Im always posting local openings, it sounds like some of Yall need to consider moving.
Old 08-02-2008
Forum Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TollandAC View Post
We are now (as of July 1) at $17.33 per hour but each only get 15 hours a week with having to carry the pager 24/7 4 days a week. We get zero benefits. BTW - there's two of us in town.

Tina
Wow. What is the town and state?
Old 08-02-2008
Certified Posting ACO

TollandAC is on a distinguished road

Samantha -
It's Tolland, CT, human population is 14,800 and licensed dogs are 2,200 and you know there are more not yet found!

Tina
Old 08-03-2008
Forum Friend

Wow. Yep, I'm sure there are. Sounds like the makings of a great television show. Maybe some of TRAMP's grandchildren are there.
Old 02-10-2009
Probationary Trainee

crittercop777 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to crittercop777
Default Pay

I work for the City of Baytown Texas (pop. about 67,000. Located South East of Houston Texas) as an Animal Service Officer (ASO). I have been an officer for just over a year and our department started me off at over $12.00 an hour. I have obtained my state ACO basic and Euth cert in the first year. Our department / city gives increases based on your yearly performance review(s). With my review and education for the year I get a bump up of about 40-50 cents an hour.Several cities in our area (Houston metro) are looking at adjusting their ASO/ACO saleries based on department averages for the region. Our department pays ASOs from $12.00 - $14.00 to start for now. Our department has other benifits such as Texas State retirement, professional education, conferences and professional certification funding (plus we are employed by the city so we also have the cities medical, vision and dental benefits). Our city also has a program for tuition assistance if you enroll in college ($500.00 per semester or $1000.00 per academic year). I think with all of the cards on the table my city and department is doing a great job of paying us officers and looking out for our professional education. Could it be better? Yes. Could it be worse? Most definately. Looking at some of the posts on this web site and others about the saleries I think my city (Baytown Texas) is a great place to be an ASO. Just my feelings on the matter.